What is Spirituality?

January 30, 2013 1,378 Comments

Before we can define Spirituality I think we need to say what spirituality is not.  It is not religion. There are religious people who live their spirituality but there are many people who are religious who are not spiritual.  These people go to church..spout a doctrine…appear devout…but do not live or practice the spiritual basis of their religion.  An example would be a devout Christian church goer who leaves the parking lot of the church and pulls into traffic, rudely cutting someone off and then throws them the finger when they honk at him for cutting him off.  Hardly…exhibiting the spirit of being a Christian and honoring the Golden rule “do unto others at you have them do unto you”.

And there are spiritual people who are not religious.  Yes,  I know lots of people who never go to church or subscribe to any particular religion who I would describe as a very spiritual.

Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa

or example there is a guy who goes to my church who I would describe as spiritual and even though he goes to the church he does not subscribe to any religion and is not religious.  We are defining religious as being part of a religion.  I consider Mother Teresa a very spiritual person and not particularly religious.  Now, I also consider the Dalai Lama a very spiritual person and a religion person (Buddhist)So, what is a spiritual person?  A spiritual person is someone who lives their spirituality.

dalai_lama

Dalai Lama

Which brings us back to our original question…what is spirituality?  The simplest dictionary definition says it is the quality or state of being spiritualSpiritual is defined as  of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal 2a: of or relating to sacred matters b: ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal 3: concerned with religious values.  Rather dry definitions are not particularly satisfying or present a clear picture .A much more interesting definition is from Wikkepedia: Spirituality is “the concept of an ultimate or an alleged immaterial reality; an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.   There are several concepts and ideas in this definition.  First,  the idea of a path to spiritual enlightenment.  The second is the discovering your essence or “who you really are”.  The third is that spirituality is about the values and principles people live by.

Spirituality is really about each person living and expressing their connection to their spirit by being, and living their values and principles.

Get Meditations
I hope your enjoyed our book and will want to get updates from us. You may opt out at any time. To get access to the guided meditations enter your name and email.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.

Currently there are "1,378 comments" on this Article:

1. I love the definition of spirituality.

2. !私は本当によく書かBing.Itsにあなたのブログを発見し、それは私をたくさん助けました。

3. mcoolxfwq says:

What is Spirituality? « EveryDay Spirituality
    [url=http://www.gv9lu08e187p7r2101q4fn6u27dl1onjs.org/]umcoolxfwq[/url]
    mcoolxfwq http://www.gv9lu08e187p7r2101q4fn6u27dl1onjs.org/
    amcoolxfwq

4. What is Spirituality? « EveryDay Spirituality
    parajumpers jakke

5. What is Spirituality? « EveryDay Spirituality
    louis vuitton norge

6. What is Spirituality? « EveryDay Spirituality
    roger vivier online

7. uggs sko says:

What is Spirituality? « EveryDay Spirituality

8. It’s very simple to find out any matter on web as compared to books, as I found this
    paragraph at this website.

9. Fait le place des spiders vapeur pour votre bebe et vous choisir celui qui vous le en fonction de besoins.

10. My brother suggested I would possibly like this website.
    He was once totally right. This post truly made my day.
    You can not believe just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

11. Keeley says:

Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming over again to read further news.

12. sniperOi says:

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just could not come across. What a perfect site.
    [url=http://lelocombina.work/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=8227#p8227]sniperOi [/url]

13. Of course, there iss several exceptions like the completely obese.
    You obtain Dallas Maverick tickkets almot anywhere within the net at dealer sites.
    There furthermore a One-Mann Boat race; there are two grtoups of one.

14. NBA「台裔小子」林书豪收入首度挺进全球百大最高运动员之列。富比士今天公布一年一度的全世界百大收入最高运动员,林书豪去年以总收入1890万美元,排名第97位,首度进入百名之内,他的收入来源包括年薪1490万美元,赞助商部分则有400万美元。富比士分析林书豪收入来源,主要是与火箭签下「背厚式」合约,最后一年合约价码为1490万美元,至于赞助商则以爱迪达、豪雅表为主。全球收人最高运动员是由着名拳王梅威瑟(Floyd Mayweather)蝉联,今年收入来到3亿美元,是去年的3倍。
    w88优德娱乐

15. I enjoy begin from the cold months in Helinki. fifa 16 coins can be nice and fashion, generating of great top quality

16. Noella says:

Heya great blog! Does running a blog like this take a massive amount work?
    I have absolutely no expertise in computer programming however I was hoping to start my own blog in the
    near future. Anyways, if you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I understand this is off subject but I just had to ask.

Thanks!

17. Bianca says:

Thank you, I have just been searching for information approximately this topic for a
    while and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now.
    But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you
    certain concerning the supply?

18. Excellent Seller! ! Great Service, objet , et l’exp茅dition. A + + + + + +

19. Moshe says:

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any
    recommendations?

20. When someone writes an artiicle he/she maintains the thought of a user
    in his/her brain tht how a user can understgand it.Therefore that’s whhy this article is perfect.
    Thanks!

21. This information is priceless. When can I find out more?

22. Orval says:

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods
    to stop hackers?

23. wsj.com says:

They should stick to the rules mentioned as below before coming a financial institution for
    awards.